FoodData Central is an integrated data system that provides expanded nutrient profile data and links to related agricultural and experimental research.
At this time, only a basic view of search results is available for viewing on mobile devices. Advanced filter features, such as searching by data type, are not yet mobile-enabled and are available only in desktop view. Users are encouraged to use a desktop computer to conduct food item searches.
- Experimental Foods data type has been launched
- New search function for components, including nutrients, across all data types
- 2017-2018 Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies now available
- More systematic and robust approach to displaying energy measures
- Updated Foundation Foods Documentation; new Experimental Foods Documentation
- Upgrades to the API
- Can be used by, and has benefits for, a variety of users, including researchers, policy makers, academicians and educators, nutrition and health professionals, product developers, and others.
- Includes five distinct data types that provide information on food and nutrient profiles: Foundation Foods, Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies 2017-2018 (FNDDS 2017-2018), National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Legacy Release (SR Legacy), USDA Global Branded Food Products Database (Branded Foods), and Experimental Foods. Each of these data types has a unique purpose and unique attributes.
- Links these distinct data types in one location, thus strengthening the ability of researchers, policy makers, and others to address vital issues related to food, nutrition, and diet-health interactions.
- Provides a broad snapshot in time of the nutrients and other components found in a wide variety of foods and food products.
Before you get started, view the About Us page for essential information about FoodData Central data types and how to use this system.
FoodData Central is managed by the Agricultural Research Service’s Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center and hosted by the National Agricultural Library.
The suggested citation is: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. FoodData Central, 2019. fdc.nal.usda.gov.