FoodData Central is an integrated data system that provides expanded nutrient profile data and links to related agricultural and experimental research.
At this time, only a basic view of search results is available for viewing on mobile devices. Advanced filter features, such as searching by data type, are not yet mobile-enabled and are available only in desktop view. Users are encouraged to use a desktop computer to conduct food item searches.
- 13 percent increase in Foundation Foods, representing approximately 100 samples and 3,000 analyses
- 2015-2016 Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies now available
- Ongoing monthly updates for items in Branded Foods beginning in April 2020
- Upgrades to the API that enhance ability to search and pull data
- Updated Foundation Foods Documentation
- Can be used by, and has benefits for, a variety of users, including researchers, policy makers, academicians and educators, nutrition and health professionals, product developers, and others.
- Includes five distinct data types that provide information on food and nutrient profiles: Foundation Foods, Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies 2015-2016 (FNDDS 2015-2016), National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Legacy Release (SR Legacy), USDA Global Branded Food Products Database (Branded Foods), and Experimental Foods. Each of these data types has a unique purpose and unique attributes.
- Links these distinct data types in one location, thus strengthening the ability of researchers, policy makers, and others to address vital issues related to food, nutrition, and diet-health interactions.
- Provides a broad snapshot in time of the nutrients and other components found in a wide variety of foods and food products.
Before you get started, view the About Us page for essential information about FoodData Central data types and how to use this system.
FoodData Central is managed by the Agricultural Research Service’s Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center and hosted by the National Agricultural Library.
The suggested citation is: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. FoodData Central, 2019. fdc.nal.usda.gov.