Download FoodData Central Data
Data contained in FoodData Central can be downloaded. The download files are available both as a CSV delimited ASCII file and as a Microsoft Access database (version 2007).
- The Microsoft Access database contains a few sample queries.
- Data Type Documentation provides links to documentation for each of FoodData Central’s data types, and these documents provide details on the file formats.
View Download & API Field Descriptions (XLSX - 50K) for definitions of all the terms and labels used in the download files of FoodData Central. This guide is also included in each downloaded file.
Access the Downloads
The following files can be downloaded:
- All foods (CSV – 58M) (MS Access – 99M)
- Foundation (CSV – 1.3M)
- Survey (FNDDS) (CSV – 4.8M)
- Branded (CSV – 47M)
- SR Legacy (CSV – 5.7M)
- Supporting data (CSV – 206K)
Tips for Downloading
When downloading, be aware that data in FoodData Central are updated on a varying schedule. New downloads will be made available as new data are added to FoodData Central. The filename for full downloads will include a date indicating when the download file was last compiled.
- Foundation: New data are posted as analyses are completed. The “Published” date on the search results page indicates the FoodData Central launch date. The “Acquired” date is the year on which the samples used to provide the associated nutrient values were obtained.
- Survey (FNDDS): New releases of these data coincide with the two-year NHANES cycles. This is indicated by Start date and End date on the search results page. FoodData Central provides 2013-2014 data. Data from the 2015-2016 release as well as earlier releases can be found on the Food Survey Research Group website. In the future, the FNDDS 2015-2016 dataset will be moved to FoodData Central and FoodData Central will be the home of future FNDDS data releases.
- Branded: Food manufacturers continually submit data for food products in the USDA Global Branded Foods Products Database. The “Published” date, shown on the search results page, indicates the date the data were posted to FoodData Central.
- SR Legacy: The “Published” date, shown on the search results page, indicates the date the data were posted to FoodData Central.
For more information about FoodData Central, go to the FAQ page.